National Leaders of Governance (NLG) concentrate on developing leadership capacity. In some cases they work in partnership with a National Leader of Education (NLE). Victoria Widdows, Chair of Governors at Fairlawn and Haseltine Federation, is a National Leader of Governance.
NLGs provide support to a chair of governors in a school:
- identified as being in need of significant improvement by the Department for Education, Ofsted, a teaching school, local authority or regional school commissioner
- where attainment is below the current minimum standards set by the government
- in transition to academy status or multi-academy trust
- where the chair of governors is new
- where working practices for a chair, headteacher or leadership group need developing
Some NLGs will provide short-term support to governing bodies, for example by joining an interim executive board or chairing a governing body in severe difficulties.
There are over 500 NLGs sharing their expertise with other schools.
Go to www.bit.ly/2dxHyNJ to read about two NLGs and their work.
To find out more about NLGs www.bit.ly/2dROLuc